This is a comprehensive overview of all that concerns the Baer Reintegration Scholarship. It contains why the scholarship was established, the application process, the award amount, eligibility criteria, and many others. I urge you to follow me till the last sentence in order to gain full insight.
I am usually amazed when people say that those who are diagnosed with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder cannot be helped or even be supported to move their lives forward. Well, I may not totally blame them, they just haven’t come in contact with or heard of the rise of newer medications.
While the medication is just a part, there are other ways people with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia can be helped to pull their lives together and be able to make something meaningful out of it. One of such ways is through educational opportunities. You agree with me, right? Okay, let’s see why the Baer Reintegration Scholarship was established.
Table of Contents
Why was the Baer Reintegration Scholarship Created?
The Baer Reintegration Scholarship was established to do what I just pointed out above. You can simply say that the scholarship was created to assist all those who are diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or schizoaffective disorder to acquire vocational skills and study without hassle in order to gain all it takes to reintegrate into the society, and even contribute their quota to the labor market.
It is worthy of note that this Baer Reintegration Scholarship is sponsored and funded by the Sidney R. Baer, Jr. Foundation, a foundation that supports organizations that foster education, research, and direct care in the mental health sector. Mr. Baer, a businessman and consultant faced the issue of mental health challenges during his lifetime, and hence, decided to help alleviate the suffering of those diagnosed with mental illness.
Eligibility Requirements for the Baer Reintegration Scholarship
To be able to apply for the Baer Reintegration scholarship, you must meet the following criteria;
- You must be diagnosed with bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder, or schizophrenia.
- You must be currently receiving medical treatment for the diagnosis such as medications and psychiatric follow-up. Or you can have the documentation of past history written on the recommendation form by the prescribing authority.
- You must be 18 years or above in age.
- You must be a citizen or legal resident of the United States and must be attending or planning to attend a school in the United States.
- You must be involved actively in the rehabilitative or reintegration efforts by being a clubhouse member, volunteering, taking part or full-time employment, etc.
It is good to note that after completing the online application, you must take a brief eligibility quiz. So it is important you go through the eligibility criteria before applying.
Programs You Can Study with the Baer Reintegration Scholarship
The Baer Reintegration Scholarship caters to the tuition fees and other educational costs of students with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia for a wide range of programs. However, these programs must be certified and must be done in an accredited institution.
Some of the programs you can use the Baer Reintegration Scholarship to study are high school equivalency programs, bachelor’s degrees, associate’s degrees, trade or vocational certification programs, graduate degree programs, and post-baccalaureate credit coursework.
Currently, the scholarship has extended to supporting students in online or hybrid programs due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Selection Process Criteria
These are the factors taken into consideration while reviewing the applications of students. Pay good attention to this section if you truly want to become an awardee of the Baer Reintegration Scholarship.
- Academic Records: Without mincing words, your demonstration of excellence in academics as reflected on your results and transcripts will be considered.
- Quality of Essay: Your essay must be well-written with proper attention paid to the prompts given.
- Rehabilitation Involvement: Your participation in rehabilitation exercise is measured too. This is simply saying that you should join clubs, partake in volunteering events, or even take up employment opportunities, whether full-time or part-time.
- Your references from three individuals, including that of your psychiatrist doctor will also be evaluated. It is good to note that references from family members are not accepted.
- Your thoughtfulness of career goals or academic pursuits will be considered.
- Your success rate in dealing with the diagnosed disease so far will be evaluated.
- Your application will also be checked to see if all requirements were attended to, including signing the personal consent & release form.
Conditions of Financial Support
The renewal of the Baer Reintegration scholarship is not automatic, hence, all past winners of the scholarship are advised to reapply to renew the scholarship on an annual basis.
It is worthy of note that awards are determined based on cases, and the money is sent directly to the educational institutions of the applicants to help cover the cost of tuition, books, laboratory supplies, and some other mandatory fees. Also, all remaining money at the end of each academic year must be returned to the scholarship fund.
The scholarship does not cover summer classes, computers, accommodation, transportation, and personal expenses.
Before you apply, you must have academic or career goals as well as a school of interest (or sets of schools). You are required to submit a copy of your desired school’s statement of costs of tuition fees, books, laboratory supplies, and other mandatory fees as stated by the financial aid office or school website.
In a case where you are applying to more than one school, submit for each of them.
Your essay must have seven separate sections, and must not be longer than four double-spaced typed pages. These sections are
- My career goals and my rationale for choosing this goal
- How this course of study will help me achieve my career goal
- How my illness has impacted my ability to succeed in school, maintain employment or establish relationships
- Steps I have taken to prepare for the pursuit of this education
- Rationale for the specific school chosen
- My plans to continue treatment while pursuing an education
- My efforts to reintegrate through community involvement
It is very important that your essay contains these headlines clearly as essays without them at each section will not be attended to by the judges.
While taking you through the selection process criteria, I remember telling you that your references will come from three individuals. Let me now explain it further.
The first individual will be your prescribing authority for the mental illness. This is how the judges will confirm that you are truly diagnosed with the illness.
The second and third individuals can be anyone but not family members. It can be your friend, co-worker, teacher, therapist, fellow community member, sponsor, etc.
In a case where the individuals are unable to fill the recommendation forms sent to them through the online method, they can take a quick glance at the Baer Reintegration Scholarship page to choose a different way of doing that.
How to Apply for the Baer Reintegration Scholarship Online
The application is hosted through SmarterSelect, an online application management system that makes application processes run smoothly. Below is how you should apply;
- After filling out completely the form, save, edit, adjust, and come back to the application repeatedly before using the submit button.
- Check to see if your referees have completed the recommendation forms.
- Send an email to the scholarship board directly from the application if you have a question.
- Use the built-in checklist to make sure your application is complete.
You can also complete the application process using mail via USPS only.
If you are applying for the first time, click Here
If you are applying as a returning as a returning scholar, click Here
I have successfully walked you through all you need to know about the Baer Reintegration Scholarship. Reread the eligibility criteria again, and shoot in your application if you qualify.
I wish you the best of luck.
- Scholarships For Abuse Victims
- Scholarships For Crocheting
- Physical Disability Scholarships
- Scholarships for Mental Health Counseling
- Scholarships For Bipolar Students