There are lots of scholarships generally for everyone, and you have to be creative sometimes to figure out some scholarships that most people are not going for. You can decide to search for scholarships for left-handed people, vegetarians, short people, women, or even lottery scholarships.
You must not go the traditional way, because doing that adds you to the queue of the very competitive list (which is not bad, especially when you have excellent academic results).
In this article, we’ll list those scholarships that are specially designed for lefties, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Can you get a scholarship for being left-handed?
There are lots of scholarships for many things, there are scholarships for people that have blue eyes, vegetarian scholarships, Zombie apocalypse scholarships, scholarships for tall people, and even scholarships for redheads. So yes, there are scholarships for being left-handed, and here are some of these scholarships;
- Juniata’s Financial Aid Offerings to Lefties
- Andrew Macrina Scholarship Fund
- Michael Yasick ADHD Scholarship
- Enid Hall Griswold Memorial Scholarship
- MRCA Foundation Scholarship Program for Lefties
- ESA Foundation Scholarship
- Pickard Parry PFAU Southpaw Scholarship
- Lawyers Plus Southpaw Scholarship for Left-handed Students
- James River Church Left-Handed Scholarship
- Comcast Leaders and Achievers Scholarship
Scholarships for Left Handed People
1. Juniata’s Financial Aid Offerings to Lefties
This is one of the best scholarships for left handed people that help them to find recognition and financial assistance for their education at Juniata College, a small, liberal arts college in Huntingdon. The award is worth $1,000 to $1,500 annually and was established by the late Mary Francis Beckley, a former Juniata student, with a legacy of $24,000.
To be eligible for this scholarship, of course, you must be a lefty, also, you have to be in your sophomore, junior, or senior and must be attending Juniata College. Above all, you have to have an excellent academic record, (being left-handed isn’t the major criterion for choosing winners).
2. Andrew Macrina Scholarship Fund
The Andrew Macrina Scholarship Fund awards $2,500 to lefties still in their high school in the American Culinary Federation (ACF). Also, those enrolled in a college to study culinary arts or baking stand a very high chance of winning the scholarship.
The organization will consider students that have a CGPA of 2.5 and above and they must have participated in a cooking competition.
3. Enid Hall Griswold Memorial Scholarship
This is another scholarship dedicated to academic-excellent, left-handed students that decide to major in political science, history, government, or economics. The winners are awarded $5,000, the scholarship is available annually, and it’s awarded to just two college juniors and seniors that are citizens of the United States.
4. Michael Yasick ADHD Scholarship
This is one of the scholarships for left handed people that awards each recipient a $2,000 tuition payment. Also, they will receive one (1) year of ADHD coaching services from the Edge Foundation (the ADHD coaching service has an approximate value of $4,400).
Annually, there are approximately 55 of these scholarships available, and only 5 of these 55 are awarded to recipients who are employees of the scholarship sponsor.
5. MRCA Foundation Scholarship Program for Lefties
This is another scholarship for left-handed people that is provided by a non-profit organization and established by the Midwest Roofing Contractors Association (MRCA). The major aim of the foundation is to provide financial aid to MRCA member company employees and their families pursuing higher education at an accredited university or trade school.
This scholarship is exclusively for undergraduates or graduates that are already enrolled either in a trade school, college, or university. Or a high school senior accepted at an educational institution and expressing intent to pursue a degree or certified trade program with at least a 3.0 GPA or B Average Equivalent.
6. ESA Foundation Scholarship
This is one of the few left-handed scholarships that is committed to supporting and promoting the next, increasingly diverse generation of video game creators and players. And, they currently provide three types of scholarships to college students, which are;
- The ESA Foundation Computer and Video Game Arts Scholarship, for students pursuing careers as video game creators
- The ESA Foundation LGBTQ+ support scholarship, for students pursuing video game art degrees while actively supporting their LGBTQ+ communities
- The ESA Foundation esports scholarship is for students who play esports on a collegiate team and are pursuing a four-year, academic degree.
7. Pickard Parry PFAU Southpaw Scholarship
This is one of the scholarships for lefties that is open for U.S. students in their high school senior and college or graduate students. Whoever wins the scholarship will receive $1,500.
If you want to apply, you need to fill out the application form and submit it no later than 31 July each year.
8. Lawyers Plus Southpaw Scholarship for Left-handed Students
This is one of the left-handed scholarships provided to high school seniors and college or graduate students who live in the United States. The winner of this scholarship won’t be necessarily based on financial need, but selection will be made by the organization’s committee.
The scholarship worth $1,500 is awarded to only one recipient, and the award is meant to help with the recipient’s educational expenses.
9. James River Church Left-Handed Scholarship
This is one of the few scholarships for left handed people awarded by James River Church (JRC), and they are partnering with Evangel University to provide this $500 worth of scholarship. The award is available for students that wish to pursue an associate degree in leadership from the James River Church campus.
10. Comcast Leaders and Achievers Scholarship
This is not just a scholarship available for left-handed people, you also need to have a passion for community service, and the scholarship is worth $1,000. The scholarship is available for full-time high school seniors that have leadership abilities, enroll in a non-profit college, and have a minimum CGPA of 2.8.
Since the scholarship is merit-based, you need your guidance and counselor or principal to nominate you. You might still stand a chance to win a one-time $5,000 Gustave G. Amsterdam Leadership Award for Philadelphia-area students.
11. Frank J. Richter Scholarship Award
The American Association of Railroad Superintendents (AARS) awards different varieties of scholarships. The Frank J. Richter is one of their scholarships provided to left-handed students that are enrolled full-time at an accredited college in the United States or Canada.
Awardees will receive $1,000 worth of scholarship, and you need to have attained at least sophomore standing and have a 2.75 GPA or above to be eligible.
12. Wendy Jackson Hall Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship was established to honor a writer, a leader in the International Animated Film Association (ASIFA), and above all, a teacher of animation, Wendy Jackson Hall, who untimely passed away. The scholarship helps left-handed visual artists pursue their careers in different colleges.
13. James Beard Foundation National Scholarships
This scholarship program is established to help aspiring and established culinary professionals who plan to further their education at a licensed or accredited culinary school or hospitality institution, college, or university. The foundation has awarded lots of scholarships to their recipients, in 2022, $9 million has been awarded so far to more than 2000 candidates.
This is one of the scholarships for both right-handed and left handed people that are in three (3) basic types;
- Scholarships: Cash grants applied to tuition (and sometimes other school-related expenses)
- Tuition Waivers: Tuition waivers granted by educational institutions, which are renewable in some cases
- Work Study Grants: Grants for working culinary professionals under the auspices of the Jean-Louis Palladin Professional Work/Study program
14. Shelton State Community College Scholarship Program
This scholarship is available for both students and employees that want to further their education in college, and are left-handed. Also, the college provides different kinds of scholarships which include;
- Shelton State Community College Scholarships
- Shelton State Community College Alumni Association Scholarships
- Shelton State Senior Adult Scholarship Program
- Automotive Industry Scholarship
- Perkins Scholarship
- Collegiate 100® Scholarship
And many others.
15. Heineken USA Performing Arts Scholarship
The Heineken USA Performing Arts Scholarship is provided by the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation and it awards $3,000 to prolific lefties pursuing their bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree in arts-related subjects. Applicants have to be African-American or Black students that are citizens of the United States or legal permanent residents.
16. Students Rising Above Scholarships
This is one of the scholarships for both right-handed and left-handed high school students from low-income homes who have shown fighting spirit and resilience in overcoming homelessness and child abuse.
17. Ken C. Hicks Scholarship Program
This scholarship is provided by The Foot Locker Scholar Athletes program, and it honors student-athletes that have shown prolific academic ability and strong leadership skills in sports, in their schools, and within their communities.
This scholarship is created for any kind of player, whether the lead scorer or the defender. All “the Foot Locker Scholar Athletes” want to know is how you are able to use the skill you learned in the locker room to create a positive impact on people around you.
The scholarship is worth $20,000, and it’s exclusively for U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents.
Some people might tag lefties as “weird,” but lots of people realize it’s a God-given ability that should be embraced by all. That’s why lots of organizations have provided these scholarships for left handed people to celebrate their personalities.
We wish you all the best as you take advantage of these opportunities.