Did you know there are scholarships for clinical psychology? If this is a career you wish to pursue the scholarships are here to help you achieve your goals without piling up huge student debt. So, strap in as we take a ride through the scholarships for clinical psychology.
I assumed that you already know what clinical psychology means since you are looking for scholarships related to the discipline because it is obviously what you wish to study. But just in case, I will still go on to provide a clear and concise meaning of clinical psychology as well as the duties of clinical psychologists, how long it takes to become one, and how much it costs to become one.
Table of Contents
What is Clinical Psychology?
Clinical psychology is a branch of psychology that helps people with mental health problems. It focuses on understanding, diagnosing, and treating psychological disorders. Clinical psychologists work with people of all ages to help them feel better and lead healthier lives. They use a variety of techniques, such as talk therapy, to help their patients. If you’re interested in a career in clinical psychology, you need to be compassionate, patient, and good at listening.
Furthermore, clinical psychology is not a branch of medicine. While clinical psychologists work closely with doctors and other medical professionals, they are not medical doctors themselves. They are, however, trained to assess and diagnose psychological disorders, and they often provide treatment in collaboration with doctors and other healthcare providers.
While clinical psychologists do not prescribe medication, they may refer their patients to psychiatrists or other medical professionals who can prescribe medication if needed.
Now that you have a better understanding of clinical psychology and know the duties of a clinical psychologist, do you still wish to pursue a career in the field?
How Long Does It Take to Become A Clinical Psychologist?
If you want to walk down the path of clinical psychology, it is going to take you about 10 years to become a fully-fledged clinical psychologist, and here is the breakdown:
Four years of undergraduate study, 4-6 years of graduate school (including a doctorate degree), and, at least, one year of supervised clinical experience. In some cases, additional training or certification may be required, depending on the state or province where you plan to practice. And it’s worth noting that this duration can vary depending on your previous education and experience.
How Much Does It Cost to Become A Clinical Psychologist?
Unfortunately, I cannot give an estimated or precise amount of money you will spend to become a clinical psychologist because of factors like location, school, and cost of previous education but you can find out on your own.
First, contact your host institution and enquire about the cost of an undergraduate degree program that you have to study which will lead you to a graduate degree in clinical psychology. If you have gotten that figure then get the cost of a graduate degree in clinical psychology either from that same school or whichever graduate school you wish to study clinical psychology. You can request this information via email and you will surely get a response back.
However, from my research, I found out that it can cost anywhere between $65,000 to $115,500 for a doctorate in clinical psychology. This does not include bachelor’s and master’s degrees, as you can see, clinical psychology is expensive to study and this must have crippled the dreams of many who want to trod down this path but cannot afford it.
With the continuous increase in tuition all over the world, the best option is to apply for scholarships to cut down on the cost of tuition. Likewise, if you are going to pursue a career in clinical psychology, you should apply for scholarships to lessen the financial burden. In this article, I have curated a list of scholarships for clinical psychology with additional details on their specific requirements, eligibility criteria, amounts of awards, and application links.
Before we get into the list, there are other scholarship guides on our platform that you may be interested in such as athletic scholarships and scholarships for nursing students in Florida. And now, without any further ado, let’s dive in…
Scholarships For Clinical Psychology
The list of scholarships for clinical psychology are:
- Sam Houston State University Psychology Scholarships
- The University of Nevada, Reno Department of Psychology Scholarships
- Pacific University Oregon School of Graduate Psychology Scholarships
- Southampton Psychology Postgraduate International Scholarship
- UCONN Department of Psychological Sciences Scholarships and Awards
- The American Board of Professional Psychology Doctoral Student Scholarship
- The University of Louisville Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences Scholarships
- The University of Windsor Psychology Scholarships
- The University of Windsor Psychology Scholarships
- CSUSB Department of Psychology Scholarships for Psychology Students
- The University of Houston Department of Psychology Graduate Scholarships
- The University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship in Clinical Psychology
The following are further details on each of the scholarships for clinical psychology listed above:
1. Sam Houston State University Psychology Scholarships
Sam Houston State University Department of Psychology offers a B.S. in Psychology, a Minor in Psychology, a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, an M.A. in Clinical Psychology, an M.S. in Experimental Psychology, and a Specialist in School Psychology. The school offers two different scholarships to graduate and undergraduate students enrolled in any of the above psychology programs. These scholarships are:
- Jim Umbehr Memorial Scholarship: an annual scholarship that offers $1,000 to a full-time graduate student majoring in psychology. You must be majoring in psychology, have a GPA of 3.5, and not be eligible to receive a federal loan. Demonstrate financial need and provide a written essay.
- John Symonds Scholarship: to be eligible, you must have a GPA of 3.0, junior standing, and be a psychology major. The award for this scholarship varies.
2. The University of Nevada, Reno Department of Psychology Scholarships
Undergraduate and graduate psychology students at the University of Nevada, Reno are eligible to receive funding to support their education. The Department of Psychology offers a variety of scholarships to those who qualify for the funding. To be considered, you must complete the annual scholarship application in Nevada.
You must also be in good academic standing and declare a major in psychology.
3. Pacific University Oregon School of Graduate Psychology Scholarships
Students in the PsyD in Clinical Psychology, Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, and MA in Applied Clinical Psychology programs in the School of Graduate Psychology at Pacific University, Oregon are eligible for several scholarships to support their studies.
The scholarships awarded are PsyD Diversity Scholarships, Li Memorial Endowed Scholarship Fund, Silvia Genel Fund, and Michel and Vicki Hersen Student Research Fund. These scholarships are made available every year and when they are available, students will be notified via email with instructions on how to apply.
4. Southampton Psychology Postgraduate International Scholarship
The University of Southampton, UK is offering scholarships to international students enrolled in an eligible postgraduate master’s in psychology. The value is £3,00 and you must have been accepted into the program and achieve a 1st or an equivalent qualification in your undergraduate studies to be eligible for the award.
The eligible courses for the scholarship are MSc Health Psychology, MSc Foundations in Clinical Psychology, and MSc Research Methods in Psychology.
5. UCONN Department of Psychological Sciences Scholarships and Awards
The University of Connecticut (UCONN) offers scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Psychological Sciences. Even undergraduates are eligible for research funding from the department. However, there are more scholarships for graduate students which includes endowments, prize fund, and awards.
UCONN Department of Psychological Sciences Scholarships and Awards have different types of scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students which are awarded based on financial need and/or outstanding academic performance.
6. The American Board of Professional Psychology Doctoral Student Scholarship
The American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) is the primary organization for specialty board certification in psychology. The organization established the Doctoral Student Scholarship to provide financial assistance to students in an APA or CPA-accredited doctoral program in clinical psychology.
The student must also have an intent to pursue board certification in clinical psychology following their training and licensure. To be nominated for the award, you must provide a current CV and a letter of interest of 500 words or less on why you are pursuing a career in clinical psychology.
7. The University of Louisville Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences Scholarships
The Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at the University of Louisville offers three different scholarships to students in the department. These scholarships are:
- Roberta Kniffley African-American Psychology Scholarship: for African-American students enrolled in an undergraduate psychology program. The value is $300 to be used for tuition, books, and other college expenses. Applicants must have a GPA in psychology courses of at least 3.5 and an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
- Amber M. Heuerman Research Fund: for undergraduate students majoring in psychology. The value is $500 per student. The research fund is for students who have secured an opportunity to present research at conventions, meetings, forums, or seminars.
- Virginia B. Seely Scholarship for Outstanding Psychology Majors: this award recognizes the accomplishment of senior psychology majors. Criteria for selection include excellence in research, appreciation and support for diversity, critical thinking skills, etc. The value is $1,000.
8. The University of Windsor Psychology Scholarships
The University of Windsor, Canada offers graduate research awards and scholarships in clinical neuropsychology. These funds are made available to support your research. You must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada to be eligible. In addition, you must demonstrate financial need and scholastic ability. The value starts from $3,000.
9. NSU Florida College of Psychology Scholarships
Nova Southeastern University (NSU), Florida College of Psychology offers three separate categories of scholarships to students in the college – General Scholarships, Clinical Psychology Student Scholarships, and scholarships for Counseling students. There are more than 10 different scholarships under the clinical psychology category.
Note that each of these scholarships has different eligibility, ensure to review them carefully before applying for them.
10. CSUSB Department of Psychology Scholarships for Psychology Students
California State University, San Bernadino is another higher institution in the US offering scholarships to students in its psychology program. There are about 9 different scholarships each with its specific requirements and eligibility. To apply, you must have been accepted into the undergraduate or graduate (master’s) degree program and have a minimum of 3.0 GPA.
Some of the scholarships also consider financial need in addition to good academic performance. Leadership qualities and participation in volunteer/community involvement will increase your chances of receiving a scholarship.
11. The University of Houston Department of Psychology Graduate Scholarships
Students of Clinical Psychology are offered a variety of scholarships to support their graduate program and these scholarships are offered annually. You could consider adding the University of Houston to your options if you are looking where to pursue a graduate program in Clinical Psychology on scholarships.
There are more than 10 different scholarships, including fellowships, made available to clinical psychology students and each of them has their set eligibility criteria.
12. The University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship in Clinical Psychology
The University of Waterloo will award $4,000 to a full-time student enrolled in the clinical psychology doctoral program. The award will be granted to a student who does not hold an external scholarship at the time of selection. Students must be in good academic standing to be selected for the award. The scholarship is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and international students.
As a clinical psychology student, you may feel overwhelmed by the cost of your education. But don’t worry – the scholarships for clinical psychology discussed in this blog post are readily available to help you cover the cost of your degree. With these scholarships, you can focus on your studies and achieve your goals without worrying about the financial burden. So, start your scholarship application today and take the first step towards a successful career in clinical psychology.
- 14 Scholarships For Nursing Students In Texas
- 13 Highest Paying Back-to-School Scholarships
- 14 Scholarships For Nursing Students In Washington State
- 21 Best Nursing Scholarships In USA
- Top 10 Scholarships for Aerospace Engineering