The Lone Star State, Texas is widely known for so many things including its rich landscape, acceptance of diverse cultures, and most importantly, their top-notch educational institutions. We believe their reputation speaks for themselves, that’s why lots of international students desire to study in this state.
However, pursuing higher education in the United States, or even in Texas as an international student comes with a lot of financial burden, you will notice some fees are double or even triple what in-state students pay. One of the ways to alleviate this burden is through these scholarships in Texas for international students, some of them can cover up to all of your tuition fees, but you need to get ready for massive competition.
Moreover, if you’re a freshman, we would advise you to diversify in your scholarship search, there are so many scholarships in the U.S., UK, Canada, and Australia exclusively for first-year students.
In this blog post, we will explore several scholarship opportunities in Texas waiting for international students who are desperate to embark on their educational journey in this state. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Scholarships in Texas for International Students
Just like Citizens and permanent residents of the United States use FAFSA to apply for need-based financial aid in the country, international students are eligible to use TASFA (Texas Application for Student Financial Aid).
1. Texas State University International Scholarships
TSU provides merit-based scholarships to both their domestic and international students which are awarded automatically to freshmen. TSU’s Assured Scholarships are also eligible to international freshmen and their award is up to $48,000.
Transfer, continuing, and graduate international students also have some scholarships eligible for them.
2. Texas A&M University International Student Scholarships
TAMU provides several scholarships in Texas for international students and you need to complete the University Scholarship Application and meet all requirements to be considered. Some of these scholarships include;
- International Education Fee Scholarship
- George J. Eppright ‘26 International Student
- Goodman International Scholarship Fund
- Shibata International Memorial Scholarship
- Begum Akhtar Akram International Scholarship, ETC.
3. Society of Iranian-American Women for Education (SIAWE)
SIAWE is a nonprofit charitable corporation that was created to strengthen relationships and deepen understanding among Iranians and Americans. They provide a $3,500 spring tuition award to qualified college or university students to enhance their educational opportunities.
You have to enroll in one of the partner higher institutions in Texas to be considered.
4. Tuition Assistance for Mexican Students (TAMS)
This is among the scholarships in Texas for international students who are legal and permanent residents of Mexico. Applicants can either be undergraduates or graduates enrolled full-time in one of the partner institutions in Texas, must be on a non-immigrant visa, and have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and 3.0 for undergraduate and graduate respectively.
5. UT Austin and Texas Exes Scholarships
The University of Texas at Austin in partnership with Texas Exes provides a round of scholarships to international students. Some of these awards include;
- Glenn Maloney Memorial Scholarship
- Melih and Selma Selvili Memorial Scholarship
- Zekiye and Hilmi Selvili Memorial Scholarship
They provide other scholarships which are also made available through partnerships.
6. International Texas Public Education Grant
Just like scholarships this grant doesn’t require repayment, it’s best for students who don’t have very good grades but are in desperate need of financial assistance for their education at the University of North Texas. Applicants must be enrolled at UNT one full academic year prior to application, and make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the time of application.
7. Eagle Portal Scholarships
This is another scholarship in Texas for Foreign students who intend to enroll at the University of North Texas. They provide a variety of scholarships through the Eagle Scholarship Portal such as;
- Hsiao-Pei Yang Memorial Scholarship
- International Affairs International Education Scholarship
- International Affairs Pakistan Student Scholarship Fund
And many more
8. The Good Neighbor Program
This is among the scholarships in Texas for international students from other nations of the Western Hemisphere (other than Cuba). This scholarship will waive off tuition fee of recipients only for one year (fall, spring, and summer).
Eligible candidates must have resided in an eligible country in the Western (American) Hemisphere for a period of at least five years.
9. UNT Excellence Scholarships
The University of North Texas also provides a list of Excellence Scholarships to both outstanding domestic and international first-time freshmen admitted to the Institution. These scholarships are automatically awarded, and they include;
- President’s Elite: worth $12,000/year
- President’s Honors: worth $10,000/year
- Dean’s Scholarship: worth $8,000/year
- North Texas Scholarship: worth $6,000/year
- Eagle Scholarship: worth $4,000/year
- Scrappy Scholarship: worth $1,000/year
10. WT Merit Scholarship Awards for International Students
West Texas A&M University provides four (4) merit scholarships to qualified freshmen. Even though these are merit-based scholarships, you need to submit scholarship applications by Dec. 1 (for early action) or Feb. 1 (priority date).
Also note that the number of awards totally depends on the availability of funds, and they are very competitive, they include;
- President’s Scholar: up to $16,500
- Provost’s Scholar: up to $16,000
- Honor Scholar: up to $15,500
- Academic Scholar: up to $15,000
11. UT Tyler – Undergraduate International Freshman and Transfer Scholarships
The University of Texas at Tyler offers several different types of academic scholarships for both incoming first-year freshmen and transfer students. Some of these awards include:
- Honors Scholars Scholarship (freshmen): worth $10,000
- Patriot Scholarship (freshmen): ranges between $1,000-$5,000
- Academic Excellence Scholarship (freshmen): worth $2,000
- Transfer Presidential Scholarship: worth $2,000
12. TMUCC International Student Scholarships
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi provides several scholarships in Texas for international students which are categorized as Income Freshmen, Current undergraduate students and incoming transfer students (from a U.S. institution), and Graduate Students.
You’ll need to complete a scholarship application, submit the requested résumé, and a 500-word essay, and must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0.
13. TWU Pioneer Scholarship System
Texas Woman’s University awards more than $10 million in scholarships annually which includes merit-based, departmental, endowed, and need-based scholarships. Through their searchable database, you can find several international scholarships that you can be eligible to apply for.
14. UTSA International Student Grant
This grant is available to both international undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at the University of Texas at San Antonio. Applicants must demonstrate financial need, and maintain good academic standing, graduate students must maintain a 3.0 GPA and undergraduate students must maintain a 2.0 GPA, and must be full-time students.
15. Austin College Scholarships and Financial Assistance
Austin College provides academic scholarships which range between $18,000 to $31,000 to international students. Applicants must complete all admission procedures no later than January 15 and be admitted to Austin College.
You don’t need to submit any other scholarship application as you will be awarded all eligible scholarships.
16. The Office of International Programs Scholarship
This is a $1,000 scholarship awarded annually to students who will contribute to the increased diversity for international representation at Stephen F. Austin State University. Scholars will also be eligible for Texas resident tuition rates, which cost approximately $4,500 less per semester.
You can see that almost all schools in the Lone Star State provides scholarships in Texas for international students, whether it’s internal scholarships, or awards based on partnership with other organizations.
- Undergraduate Scholarships In France For International Students
- Nursing Scholarships in Australia for International Students
- 15+ Best Catholic Scholarships for International Students
- Top 15 Christian Scholarships for International Students
- 24 Free Scholarships to Study Abroad for Undergraduate Degrees