Even though teachers help shape our world, they are the major mothers to other professions and give rise to the future, however, lots of parents are not encouraging their kids to become one. And, the rate of students seeking for degree in education or teaching is reducing.
In fact, in Texas, according to the 2022 Charles Butt Foundation Public Perception Poll shows that only 57% of parents say they would love to have their kids teach in public schools.
The bright side is that there are a handful of scholarships for education majors in Texas that can help to encourage your desire for this career. Moreover, there are even some scholarships for male teachers or other grants to return to school for Adults.
We would like to advise you to not only limit your scholarship search, but you can also apply for other awards like first-gen scholarships in the Lone Star State or even law scholarships in Texas. And, if you’re Hispanic then don’t hesitate to take advantage of Latino scholarships in Texas.
Without much ado, let’s list these scholarships.
Table of Contents
Scholarships for Education Majors in Texas
Note that, if you’re planning to apply for a university-specific scholarship, don’t limit yourself to only scholarships exclusively for education majors, also apply for other general scholarships provided by the school. We know that most merit-based scholarships will be awarded automatically, but you need to confirm to be sure the school does that and also apply for need-based scholarships.
1. TEACH Grants
Award: Up to $4,000 annually
Number of Recipients: Multiple
Eligibility: To be eligible for this scholarship for education majors in Texas applicants need to agree to teach at a low-income elementary or secondary school as a highly qualified teacher, full-time for at least four years. Applicants also need to be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, have a minimum CGPA of 3.25, and must sign an Agreement to Serve (ATS).
2. James I. Perkins College of Education
James I. Perkins College of Education at Stephen F. Austin State University provides several scholarships for Education majors in Texas, some of them include;
- Addijo Williams Education Scholarship
- Bates Family Education Scholarship
- Charles E. Root Education Scholarship
- Ellen V. Miller Education Scholarship
- Herrington-Moore Excellence in Teaching Scholarship
- Langston and Virginia Kerr Education Scholarship
- Louise Jeter Education Scholarship
- Maco Stewart Education Scholarship
And many more.
3. Midwestern State University – College of Education
This school provides a variety of Undergraduate and Graduate scholarships for students wishing to pursue a degree at the West College of Education. Some of these Scholarships include;
- Sam & Jo Atkins Scholarship
- Bessie King Scholarship
- D.L. & Gertrude Ligon Scholarship
- Oneta & Bedford Furr Scholarship
- Secondary ELAR or Social Studies
- West Foundation Graduate Scholarship
4. Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers
This scholarship was created to motivate and support outstanding students in Texas who are pursuing a career in teaching through one of the state’s best university-based teacher preparation programs.
Award: Up to $8,000 – $10,000 per year
Number of Recipients: Multiple
Eligibility: To be eligible for these scholarships for education majors in Texas you must be committed to teaching in a Texas public school that is a majority-economically disadvantaged school or in a shortage subject area.
5. Baylor University – School of Education Scholarships
Award: The SOE at Baylor University provides more than $500,000 in departmental scholarships annually to undergraduate students for the next academic year.
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled in a degree program within the School of Education, need to submit a FAFSA form if interested in a need-based scholarship, and must have a minimum GPA of 2.75.
6. Pi Lambda Theta Student Support Scholarships
Award: Range from $500 to $2,000
Eligibility: Besides the fact that applicants need to be pursuing a degree or career in education to be eligible, they also need to have a minimum GPA of 3.50, and can either be undergraduates or graduates. Also, current educators or education professionals/support staff who graduated with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above are still eligible.
7. STEM Teacher Graduate Scholarships
Eligibility: To qualify for these scholarships for education majors in Texas you must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident, and have a minimum CGPA of 3.5 in a current program at an accredited University or College in the United States. Also, applicants need to be at least in their second semester and taking at least two (2) semester-equivalent courses per term, and majoring in education for the purpose of teaching STEM subjects in a U.S. school in grades K-12 at the time of application.
8. Barbara Lotze Scholarship for Future Physics Teachers
Award: A stipend of up to $3,000
Number of Recipients: 7
Eligibility: Candidates must be undergraduate students enrolled in an accredited university or college who are pursuing a course of study leading toward a career in physics teaching in high schools. Applicants also need to be a U.S. citizen.
9. Mark A. Jefferson Teaching Scholarship
Number of Recipients: 2
Eligibility: This scholarship for Teaching majors in Texas is eligible to Male African Americans who have a minimum GPA of 2.8 and intend to enroll in an accredited college or university to pursue a Teaching major. You also need to write an essay that tells us a bit about yourself and how you plan to make a positive impact on the world through your career as an educator.
10. Texas Council of Teachers of Mathematics Scholarships
Eligibility: Preference is given to preservice teachers attending a Texas college or university, or approved Texas alternative certification entity. Applicants must plan to enroll in teacher certification at the elementary, middle, or secondary level with a specialization or teaching field in mathematics, and must have maintained a minimum GPA of 3.0.
11. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Grants and Scholarships
NCTM provides several grants, scholarships, and awards ranging from $1,500 to $24,000 available to help math teachers, prospective teachers, and other math educators improve the teaching and learning of mathematics. Some of these scholarships include;
- Advanced Mathematics Education Course Work Scholarship
- Emerging Teacher-Leaders in Elementary School Mathematics Grant
- Designing Innovative Lessons and Activities for Mathematics Teaching
- Connecting Mathematics to Other Subject Areas Grant (9-12)
And many more
12. UT Tyler – Teachers in Excellence Scholarship
Award: up to $200
Eligibility: Applicants need to be a Texas-certified teacher, be working as a full-time educator in a Texas Education Agency accredited school, and be entering his/her first semester as a graduate student in the College of Education & Psychology at UT Tyler.
13. Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program
Award: Up to $46,800 in scholarships available for different students
Eligibility: Candidates to these scholarships for education majors in Texas must be majoring in STEM Teaching degrees, and intend to become K-12 teachers.
In conclusion, pursuing a career in education in Texas not only opens several professional doors but also provides enormous scholarship opportunities. There are several scholarships to consider here, whether it’s state-sponsored awards or even university-specific programs.
- 17 Free Online CPD For Teachers
- 10 Free Online Courses for Teachers Professional Development
- 15 Scholarships for Teachers to Study Abroad
- 15 Best Spanish Language Scholarships
- 15 Best French Language Scholarships