I always say that Microsoft is in the business of not just providing some of the best softwares and hardware but they are also committed to empowering the next generation of innovators and technology leaders. This has made them provide some important scholarships like Microsoft Disability Scholarship, Women at Microsoft Scholarship, and the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship.
Moreover, this scholarship is in line with their commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion in the technology industry.
Recipients of the scholarship will receive some funds that can be used for educational expenses such as tuition, books, etc, and they also have the chance of attending a summer internship at Microsoft.
Table of Contents
About the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship
The Blacks at Microsoft (BAM) Scholarship is one of the awards created by Microsoft Corporation to assist and encourage Blacks, and African students pursuing a career in the tech-related field. Basically, the scholarship is for high school seniors with good grades and leadership qualities that intend to further their Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related technical field.
Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship Requirements
Besides being of African descent (for example, African American, African, Ethiopian, etc.) there are still other requirements you need to meet to qualify for that BAM Scholarship, they include;
- Be a US-based high school senior
- Plan to attend a four-year college or university in the US in the fall immediately following your high school graduation.
- Plan to pursue a bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, computer information systems, or select business programs (such as finance, business administration, or marketing).
- Demonstrate a passion for technology.
- Demonstrate leadership at school or in the community.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Require financial assistance to attend college
How much are the Blacks at Microsoft (BAM) Scholarship?
The Microsoft BAM Scholarship covers up to 100% of the full tuition of the 50 recipients which is worth $212,500.
- five (5) $20,000 scholarships are distributed over 4 years ($5,000 per year, renewable)
- forty-five (45) $2,500 one-time-only scholarships
Besides the funds, recipients will also get free mentorship, networking opportunities, and potential internship opportunities at Microsoft.
How to Apply for the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship
To start your application;
- You first need to submit your application and register at the Scholarship America Hub where you just need to add some short personal information like Username, email, and name.
- After that, they will send you an email that will enable you to confirm your registration which will return you to add a password, and then log in.
- After you have logged in, you will need to add more profile information which includes your date of birth, country, address, gender, ethnicity, grade, the post-secondary school type you plan to attend, the field of study, and a few other questions.
Also, as part of the application process for the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship, you will be asked to submit the following:
- One Letter of Recommendation: At least one letter must be from a faculty or staff member at your school. Letters of recommendation should be original and should not be duplicates of college recommendation letters. (Letters must be on letterhead.)
- Transcript: A current, complete transcript of grades. Grade reports are not accepted. Transcripts must display the student name, school name, and credit hours for each course and term in which the course was taken.
- Note, If you are providing SAT or ACT scores, and those scores are not listed on your high school transcript, you will need to upload a copy of your test score report(s) separately. If you are uploading a college transcript, those scores are not required.
- One Essay: In no more than 500 words, describe how you plan to engage in the technology industry in your future career. (If you have done exemplary work using technology during high school, please describe that also.)
One of the beauties of the Blacks at Microsoft (BAM) Scholarship is that it can cover up to the recipients’ full tuition, and it goes further to help them to get free mentorship and potential internship opportunities in Microsoft Organization. You can visit their official website to learn more and apply.