Microsoft, which is one of the Tech Giants, has been in the business of providing scholarships to students aspiring for a tech-related career. Some of the scholarships include Microsoft Disability Scholarship, the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarships, and the Women at Microsoft Scholarship.
This aligns with their commitment to empowering the next generation of innovators and technology leaders. One of the reasons I love their scholarships is because they focus on areas that need them, and they ensure to close gaps from diverse backgrounds.
This includes providing financial aid for underrepresented and minority groups like people of colour, women, disabled students, etc.
Table of Contents
What is the Women at Microsoft Scholarship About?
This scholarship is provided by Microsoft which intends to help and encourage women that are pursuing a career in technology. Just like most Microsoft scholarships, this one is also awarded annually, and it is meant to cover tuition and other educational expenses.
Microsoft seeks to support and promote diversity and gender equality, and this scholarship is one of the ways they do this.
How Much is the Women at Microsoft Scholarship Worth?
The price of this scholarship varies in size, up to $5,000, offered as one-time or renewable for up to four (4) years. Other advantages of the scholarship include mentoring and networking opportunities with Microsoft professionals.
Moreover, the scholarship amount varies annually, but it mostly gets higher as the years pass.
Requirements for Women at Microsoft Scholarship
Besides being required for women to apply for this scholarship, there are still other requirements that need to be met, which include;
- Becoming a promising high school senior who plans to attend a vocational or academic college and target a career in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math).
- Wish to pursue a career in a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) field.
- Plan to attend an accredited 2-4 year public or private college or university or technical college in the United States (or a US affiliate program) in the upcoming academic year.
- Have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher
Also, the application process usually opens in the fall, and recipients are announced in the spring.
Note that, due to the dynamic nature of a career in technology, this scholarship is not limited only to students pursuing STEAM fields of study. Instead, the selection committee is most interested in an applicant’s plan to be engaged in a STEAM industry in their career, their passion for technology, and the difference technology can make in the world.
Furthermore, you don’t need to be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply, international applicants are welcome to apply too. But you need to intend to attend a school based in the USA to be considered for this scholarship.
How to Apply for the Women at Microsoft Scholarship
- Usually, application open in January.
- To apply for a Women-at-Microsoft Scholarship, you need to submit your application online
- As part of the application process, you will be asked to submit the following:
- Academic record
- Demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities
- Work experience
- A statement of educational and career goals and objectives
- Unusual personal or family circumstances
- An online recommendation
This scholarship is one of the ways that Microsoft advocates their commitment of empowering the next generation of innovators and technology leaders. You can visit their official page to apply.