Studying law is undoubtedly one of the most popular and promising academic disciplines in the world. In fact, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of lawyers is seen to increase by 10% from 2021 to 2031 which is faster than the average for all occupations.
Also, they earn a staggering average of $127,990 annually during the middle of their career.
However, the cost of studying it is high and will continue to increase as time goes on, in fact, the average tuition alone is $48,828 annually, and you still have other expenses to cover that can total $80,000 – $100,000. And, most homes in the United States can’t pay for this entirely from their pocket.
It all boils down to either getting a loan or taking advantage of different law school scholarships in Florida. Moreover, if you’re Black or Hispanic, there are special law scholarships for you, and if you have the intention to help the poor, or under-represented people through your legal career, there are law financial assistance for you too.
These scholarships will be beneficial whether you’re a prospective law student who intends to start building your legal career in the Sunshine State, or an undergrad seeking to achieve a Master of Laws degree with financial assistance, then this list will serve you properly.
Table of Contents
Law School Scholarships in Florida
1. College of Law Florida State University Scholarships
Thanks to the generous support of FSU’s friends and alumni, first, second, and third-year law students have some scholarships to feed on. Regarding first-year J.D. Scholarships, students receive them based on their academic prowess, where their LSAT/GRE score and cumulative GPA are considered.
The good news is that most of the school’s first-year students receive this Scholarship, you don’t need to apply to be considered, and these scholarships are renewable for three years.
Second-year and third-year students have varieties of scholarships to apply for each spring.
2. Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University Law School
FAMU Law School partners with various organizations to provide several law school scholarships in Florida. Some of these scholarships and essays competitions include;
- Apple HBCU Scholarships: worth $15,000
- The Foundation for Natural Resources and Energy Law Scholarship
- Journey to Esquire Scholarship & Leadership Program
- Lemon Law Experts Scholarship
And many others.
3. Central Florida Association for Women Lawyers Scholarship
The core purpose of this scholarship is to help the recipient while they study for the Florida Bar Exam, and the scholarship wouldn’t have been possible without the generous donations of CFAWL members, friends, and CFAWL fundraising efforts. Annually, outstanding full-time or part-time law students who will take the Florida Bar Exam for the first time that summer will be awarded $1,000 worth of scholarship plus, benefits.
4. ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship Fund
The American Bar Association (ABA) awards an annual Legal Opportunity Scholarship to 10 – 20 incoming diverse first-year law students with $15,000 of financial aid over their three years in law school. Several law schools in Florida accept this scholarship.
Candidates need to be a member of an underrepresented racial and/or ethnic minority.
5. Ave Maria Law School Scholarships
Annually, Ave Maria awards more than $3.7 million to students in law school scholarships in Florida through the generous support of alumni and friends. These donations have made it possible for almost two-thirds of first-year students to receive scholarships that are likely to be renewed in subsequent years as long as scholars maintain certain academic performances and are also found worthy.
Their award amounts range from $10,000 to full-ride law scholarships.
6. Barry University JD Law Scholarships, Grants, and Stipends
All Barry Law’s students receive financial assistance, but priority is given to students that achieve competitive grades in Law School. Also, law students who achieve competitive grades after the first and second years of study may be eligible for post-enrollment scholarships.
Furthermore, the school stipends in four areas first-year students:
- Trial Team Stipend: worth up to $5,000 per year
- Children and Family Law Stipend: worth up to $3,000 per year
- Environmental and Earth Law Stipend: worth up to $3,000 per year
- Immigration Stipend: worth up to $3,000 per year
7. NSU Florida – Shepard Broad College of Law Scholarships
Shepard Broad College of Law provides 2 types of law school scholarships in Florida, which are;
- Merit-based scholarships: for this, you don’t need to apply, you’re automatically considered when you are admitted to the school. The worth ranges from $2,500 to $36,000 and are awarded to both full-time and part-time students.
- External scholarships: the school gives room for other financial aid like scholarships for first-gen law students.
8. Samford University Cumberland School of Law
I must admit, I love how Cumberland School of Law arranged their scholarship listing, their User Interface is top-notch. Anyway, they provide special scholarships to these two categories;
- Entering First-Year, Full-time Students
- Current Students (Second- and Third-Year)
The other scholarships like
- Academic Scholarships
- Achievement Scholarships
- Leadership Scholarships
- International Scholarships
- Recruiting Scholarships
- Need-based Scholarships
9. St. Thomas University – Benjamin L. Crump College of Law Scholarships
Benjamin L. Crump College of Law provides several scholarships, thanks to kind donations of alumni and friends, and partnerships of different organizations. Some of these awards include;
- Donor Scholarships
- Jacqueline Allee Smith Scholarship
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers-Florida Chapter Endowed Scholarship
- C. Clyde Atkins Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Friends of St. Thomas Law Student Scholarships
And many others.
10. University of South Florida International Students Scholarships
This is among the law scholarships in Florida awarded exclusively to international students. Annually, this school provides merit-based scholarships to foreign students, which include;
- Students From Latin America or the Caribbean (LAC)
- Transfer Scholarships
11. Trinity Law School Scholarships
One of the interesting things about law school scholarships in Florida provided by TLS is that they award 2 kinds of scholarships that take care of your full tuition. In fact, the most competitive one goes further to supply you with $500–$1500/yr Monthly Stipend.
These awards are Dean’s Scholarships. There’s still another dean’s scholarship that takes care of 50-75% of your tuition, then another justice scholarship that funds 25%, and a Legal Studies Scholarship that funds 16% of your tuition.
Moreover, other scholarships won’t judge your academic performance provided by the school too.
12. University of Central Florida Legal Studies Scholarships
Here are some scholarships provided by the Department of Legal Studies at the UCF;
- Margaret M. Samet Memorial Scholarship
- (also available to criminal justice majors)
- The Mott Law Firm Endowed Scholarship
- First American Title Insurance Company Scholarship
- Legal Studies Professional Development and Leadership Scholarship
- Robert and Pamela Kirby Endowed Scholarship for Legal Studies
You’ve seen that there are many law school scholarships in FL, in fact, almost all accredited law schools in Florida provide scholarships, the only difference is the amount awarded.
- Best Columbia Law Scholarships
- Best Scholarships For First-Generation Law Students
- Best Masters In Law Scholarships for International Students
- Best Undergraduate Law Scholarships for African Students
- Law School Scholarships for Disabled Students