In the past, men have dominated in all fields, whether it’s in business, tech, art, medicine, or even engineering. But, in recent years, women have been reducing the dominance of men, they have been breaking barriers and pursuing careers in several fields, including Engineering.
Just like other organizations, the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is committed to supporting and empowering women in Engineering, and one of the ways they promote their commitment is by providing this Society of Women Engineers Scholarship.
In this article, we’ll be learning more about SWE Scholarship, what this scholarship is worth, the requirements, and finally how to apply.
Table of Contents
About the Society of Women Engineers Scholarship
The SWE Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to women studying community college, baccalaureate, or graduate programs in preparation for careers in engineering, engineering technology, and fields related to engineering. SWE’s Scholarship Program is open to both SWE members and non-members; however, some of the scholarships do require SWE membership.
Fortunately, they have started offering their scholarship in India.
How Much is the SWE Scholarship Worth?
The worth of the SWE Scholarship varies depending on the year and specific scholarship. For instance, In 2022, SWE awarded nearly 330 new and renewed scholarships valued at over $1,700,000.
Scholarship payments are made no later than August. Recipients are also announced in September.
Application Requirements for the Society of Women Engineers Scholarship
Besides the fact that you need to be a woman to qualify for the SWE Scholarship, there are still other requirements which include;
- Undergraduate/community college applicants must be planning to study an ABET-accredited program in engineering, technology, or computing in the upcoming academic year.
- Masters and Ph.D. candidates must be enrolled or accepted at a school with ABET-accredited programs in engineering, computing, or technology.
- You must be planning to attend full-time (exceptions are made for reentry and non-traditional applicants).
- You must not be fully funded for tuition, fees, and books or equivalent.
- Transcripts must be in English. See below for more details.
They also offer scholarships to women that want to reenter the workforce as engineers. And here are the requirements to be eligible;
- Students who have been out of school for a minimum of two years before the beginning of the current course of study
- Students who have been out of the engineering or technology workforce for a minimum of two years before the beginning of the current course of study
- Full or part-time students
- Students entering any year of engineering school, including graduate school
- There is no minimum GPA requirement for students entering their first year as a reentry or non-traditional student.
How to Apply for the Society of Women Engineers Scholarship
- To apply for this SWE Scholarship you need to first register where you will provide some personal information like your name, gender, citizenship, ethnicity, email, password, some school details, and permanent address details.
- Once you’re done providing this information, you’ll be sent an email to confirm your registration and verify your account.
- You need to log in and complete steps 2 and 3. However, do not wait until you complete step 2 to pursue step 3. They recommend submitting your reference contact information ASAP.
In summary, ABET Scholarships are typically awarded in May (sophomore, junior, senior, and graduate students) and July (freshmen students) for use during the upcoming academic year. Visit their official website to learn more and apply.