Beyond what Australia is known for, a land with lovely beaches, adventurous wildlife, stunning landscapes, and lively culture, this country is also recognized as a home for great education and sporting excellence. Just like basketball scholarships or even netball scholarships, schools, organizations, and even the Government of Australia endeavour to help elite athletes fund part or all of their educational expenses so that they can focus on pursuing their sporting and academic goals.
One of the beauties of being athletically competent is that opportunities like these sports scholarships in Australia will always present themselves, whether to help you further your education or become a pro athlete. Also, there are even tennis scholarships, rugby, rowing, cricket scholarships, etc., for student-athletes in this country.
Without further ado, let’s list these athletic scholarships in Australia.
Table of Contents
Sports Scholarships in Australia
One of the exciting things about these scholarships is that most of them are available for both young athletes looking to kickstart their higher education pursuit, and student-athletes already in higher institutions. Another interesting thing is that most of these scholarships are also available to Postgraduate students.
These scholarships could be a great tool for your academic, and career success.
1. Australian Catholic University – Elite Athlete and Performer Support
Besides the fact that ACU provides sports scholarships in Australia, the school is involved in your academics, they are so concerned for your success that several ranking factors put them among the top 2% in the world. The school’s elite Athletes including those participating in Netball are rewarded with a funding scholarship worth between $1,000 to $5,000, plus other rewards including accommodation.
2. ANU – Elite Athlete Scholarship & Grant
The Australian National University Sport believes in the value of helping Elite Athletes to excel in their chosen sport, this has made them provide both grants and scholarships to eligible students. Their grant – just like scholarships don’t need to be repaid – is worth up to $1,000 and is provided to students of ANU.
Whereas their scholarship is available to freshmen. The school has a history of sporting excellence, supported by an affiliated club or sporting organisation, the scholarship is worth up to $5,000 annually.
3. University of Canberra – Elite Athlete Scholarship
Based on the excellence of UC’s education, research, and sporting achievements they are recognized both nationally and globally. Besides the fact that eligible elite student-athletes will receive financial support worth up to $10,000, they will also receive academic support like tailored workloads, exam modifications and overseas assessment assistance, etc.
4. University of Newcastle Sports Scholarships
The University of Newcastle doesn’t only provide sports scholarships in Australia, the school is also recognized as one the top 200 universities in the world, ranking #175 by QS World University Rankings, plus other recognitions. The University of Newcastle provides 4 kinds of scholarships, which are;
- Andrew Brown Sport Scholarship: worth $5,000
- Friends of the University Sport Scholarship: worth $4,000
- Col Whitehead Cricket Scholarship: worth $4,000
- University of Newcastle Sports Scholarship: worth $2,000
5. Bond University Sport Scholarships
Bond University is a school that embraces diversity with both arms, they have students from more than 90 countries, which also means they welcome different levels of culture. Speaking of their athletic scholarships in Australia, Bond University provides several scholarships that are worth up to full tuition.
Some of them include;
- Riewoldt Family AFL Excellence Scholarships: full-tuition scholarship
- ADCO Sports Excellence Scholarship: full-fee sporting scholarship and a maximum of $20,000 annual living allowance
- John Eales Rugby Excellence Scholarship: 100% tuition remission and an extra $20,000 living allowance
- Hancock Prospecting Swimming Excellence Scholarship: 100% tuition scholarship and $21,000 worth of living allowance
6. Griffith Sports Excellence Scholarships
Griffith University will interest you more if you’re interested in social and environmental issues just like the school, because you’ll enjoy both their sports and education. Their Sports Excellence Scholarships are awarded to gifted sportspeople who have strong academic zeal to gain a higher qualification without forfeiting their sporting opportunities.
The scholarship is worth $28,000. Griffith University also provides some other sports scholarships in Australia like;
- Griffith Sports Excellence Development Scholarship: worth $5,000
- Clem Jones Sporting Scholarship: worth up to $9,000
- Ron Clarke Griffith Futures Scholarship: worth up to $11,000
7. JCU Elite Athlete Scholarship
James Cook University is committed to the success of its students’ academic and sporting activities. This has made them provide financial assistance to elite athletes from northern Queensland worth up to $30,000.
8. QUT Sport Scholarships
QUT provides different kinds of scholarships ranging from $5,000 to $25,000, these scholarships, especially the elite sports scholarship are also eligible to Postgraduate students. If you’re competent in esport, then their Rising Sports Scholarship worth $5,000 should be perfect for you.
9. UniSQ Elite Athlete Scholarship
If you intend to study at the University of Southern Queensland or you’re already a student there, you might be eligible for their Elite Athlete Scholarships awarded to only outstanding eligible students. The scholarship is worth up to $5,000 and is paid in one instalment.
10. UQ Sport Scholarships
The University of Queensland is not just in full support of your sporting success, but also provides top-notch education to make their students’ all-round experience worthwhile. In fact, due to their excellence, they are ranked in the world’s top 50 by several key independent rankings, including the U.S. News Best Global Universities Rankings 2023 (36), QS World University Rankings 2024 (43), etc.
They provide three kinds of sports scholarships in Australia which are;
- UQ Sports Achievement Scholarships: range from $3,000 – $8,000
- Clem Jones Sporting Scholarships: worth $6,000
- Wensley Sporting Scholarship: worth a minimum of $4,500
11. University of Tasmania Elite Sports Scholarship
This scholarship was established to help outstanding University of Tasmania student-athletes achieve their sporting and academic goals. The scholarship is worth a $5,000 cash incentive plus a 12-month UniGym student membership and is available to both new and current students whether pursuing a bachelor’s or graduate degree.
12. Federation University Elite Athlete Scholarship
FU awards $7,000 worth of scholarships to recognised elite athlete by one of the sporting associations in Australia like the AIS, State Institute or Academy of Sport, AFL Players’ Association, etc. The $7,000 scholarship is provided in the first year, and then in subsequent years, recipients will receive $4,000 annually.
13. RMIT University – Elite Athletes Scholarship
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology is one of the technological universities to study in the world, no wonder they are ranked among the top 150 universities in the world. Their scholarship is worth $10,000 and awarded to Australian citizens who compete as an athlete or coaches at an Elite level in a sport recognised and funded by Sport Australia.
14. University of Melbourne Sports Scholarships
The University of Melbourne provides 5 kinds of athletic scholarships in Australia which are;
- The John Hall Rowing Scholarship: worth up to $10,000
- Andrew and Geraldine Buxton Athletics Scholarships: worth up to $10,000
- Jopling Family Rowing Scholarship: worth up to $25,000
- Rugby Young Achiever Award: worth up to $5,000
- High Performance and Friends of Sports Scholarships: worth up to $4,000
15. Curtin University – Elite Athlete Grant
As we said earlier, grants are just like scholarships that don’t need to be repaid, but most times, grants are awarded based on financial need while scholarships are awarded based on academic excellence. In this scenario, this Elite Athlete Grant requires your achievement in both sports and academics.
Eligible candidates will be awarded a total value of $2,500 paid in two instalments of $1,250.
In conclusion, you can see there are several sports scholarships in Australia, and these awards provide a great opportunity for talented athletes to pursue their sporting dreams while receiving a good education. Also, these scholarships won’t just reduce the financial burden of studying in higher Institutions, but they also provide a platform for personal and athletic growth.
- Athletic Scholarships In Canada For International Students
- 15+ College Athletic Scholarships Facts You Should Know
- Things a Full-ride Athletic Scholarship Covers
- Athletic Scholarships for International Students
- 35 Best College Athletic Scholarships by Sport
- How To Apply For Sports Scholarships In USA