There is a serious concern with the issues happening in our environment, climate change is not just happening to a selected few parts of the world, but to all. Some parts are facing extreme sunlight, the sea is rising due to melting polar ice shields, more frequent, and severe drought and wildfires, and the list goes on and on.
These occurrences are not something we can sweep under the carpet, even if we try the intensity will burn the carpet down. The good thing is we are acting on this human-made climate change (well, we don’t have any other option), and one of them is providing Environmental education to young scholars.
However, the cost of furthering a career in Environmental Science is not that affordable, especially for international students that want to study in English-speaking countries like the United States, the UK, Australia, Ireland, etc.
Fortunately, we have provided environmental science scholarships for international students that can help them to further their careers and education with less financial burden. There are also other international scholarships that can play almost the same role like financial aid for pilot training students, or even fashion scholarships.
Without much ado, let’s list these scholarships.
Table of Contents
Environmental Science Scholarships for International Students
1. GREAT Scholarships for climate change
GREAT Scholarships for climate change are for students who want to study at a UK university for a one-year postgraduate course. Each scholarship offers a minimum of £10,000 towards tuition fees.
The climate change scholarships are jointly funded by the British Council, the GREAT Britain Campaign, and participating higher education institutions.
2. Southampton Geography and Environmental Science Postgraduate International Scholarship
The University of Southampton is providing a scholarship of £3,000 to international students studying an eligible postgraduate, master’s in geography and environmental science. Besides being an international student as one of their requirements, applicants also need to be paying their fees themselves, and have a conditional or unconditional offer to study an eligible course.
Applicants also don’t need to be in receipt of any external sponsorship, and you don’t need to apply, you will be awarded the scholarship when they meet the criteria.
3. BYU – College of Life Science Plant and Wildlife Sciences Scholarships
Brigham Young University (BYU) provides lots of financial aid for their students in different fields, that’s why they are No. 2: Graduates with the least amount of debt (U.S. News). Some of their environmental science scholarships are for international students.
- International Agriculture Improvement Fund
- Plant and Wildlife Science Undergraduate Mentoring and Travel Scholarship
- G. Alvin & Hortense Carpenter Scholarship
4. UNC Gillings School Of Global Public Health – Emil T. Chanlett Fund
The Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering offers several scholarships and awards for students but the only international scholarship they currently have is the Emil T. Chanlett Fund. The scholarship was established in Honor of Professor Emil T. Chanlett, and two scholarships are given to minority or international students during each five-year period.
5. Beijing Normal University – Environmental Science scholarship
This is one of the few environmental management scholarships for international students offered in China and it’s a full-tuition scholarship. That means you won’t pay a dime for tuition.
Not only that, but the scholarship also covers your accommodation, and offers you a monthly stipend. They also provide partial scholarships, but applicants should not be holding the scholarship of any other category.
6. University of Reading – Archaeology, Geography and Environmental Science
University of Reading’s Archaeology, Geography and Environmental Science provides 3 scholarships for international students and 2 scholarships for UK/Republic of Ireland students.
7. UConn – Scholarships & Fellowships Open to Non-US Citizen Candidates
UConn doesn’t just provide numerous international scholarships (by the way, they are one of the few schools that partner with various organisations to provide a lot of international scholarships), they also provide quality education. No wonder U.S. News and World Report America’s Best Colleges (2023) chose them among the TOP RANKED public universities in the nation.
Some of their environmental science scholarships for international students include;
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Tinker Foundation
8. Paul H. O’Neill – School of Public and Environmental Affairs
Paul H. O’Neill provides two types of financial aid to international students, they include;
- Fellowship; incoming students are awarded generous amounts of funding through a competitive award process each semester—approximately 50% of incoming students receive fellowship awards from O’Neill.
- Assistantship; many graduates receive the role of teaching assistant where they can work between 10 and 15 hours per week and are paid at an hourly rate.
9. University of Hawaii – USDA Forest Service – US-Affiliated Pacific Islands Graduate Fellowship
This is another environmental science, forestry, and conservation biology scholarship for international graduate students. Winners will be working with a faculty member in Tropical Conservation Biology & Environmental Science (TCBES) program.
Also, the student will be mentored by a research scientist at the Institute of Pacific Islands Forestry (IPIF) to develop a project in Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Marshall Islands, or the FSM.
10. University of Birmingham – College of Life and Environmental Sciences Global Excellence Scholarships
The University of Birmingham is known for their notable educational accomplishments, and its excellence reflects in its students and alumni, which record 10 Nobel Laureates among its staff and alumni.
The University is offering awards of £4,000 to support the brightest and best international applicants wishing to undertake Master’s study in the College of Life and Environmental Sciences. Applicants need to be self-funding or applying for a postgraduate government loan to pay their fees and living expenses.
11. Wangari Maathai Scholarship
As part of the Wangari Maathai Scholars program, one outstanding international student—who shows promise of a leadership career in environmental policy—will receive a $20,000 award. Applicants need to submit a statement of 500 words as part of their application for admission.
Even though there might not be so many environmental science scholarships for international students, but with these few, you can reduce your financial load.
- 12 Best scholarships for Canada International Students
- Top 11 Female Helicopter Pilot Scholarships
- Top Black Pilot Scholarships
- 12 Best Fashion Scholarships in UK
- 15 Fashion Scholarships for International Students