One of the interesting things about being excellent at something is that it opens several doors to other things. The same applies to sports, where student-athletes commit their time to be competent in a particular sport such as Track and Field, and also ensure they provide the level of education required will surely pave a great way.
Receiving Track and Field scholarships in Canada is not the only advantage, if you’re so competent in it, you can be a professional in it, and have a bright career. And we believe that most people that are involved and do well in any sport have a passion for it, which means you’re doing what you love and making money from it too.
Meanwhile, if you’re still in high school there are still track and field scholarships for you, even those that reside in the United States or intend to study there have some T & F scholarships. Also, Track and Field is not the only athletic financial aid that Canada provides, they still provide soccer scholarships, swimming, Volleyball scholarships, etc.
Before we list these scholarships, let’s first share the requirements you need to enroll.
Table of Contents
Requirements for Track and Field Scholarships in Canada
To be eligible for T & F scholarships in Canada, student-athletes must satisfy the following criteria:
- A minimum GPA of 80% or higher is required for student-athletes entering the first year.
- Second-year and above students or transfer students must have a minimum GPA of 65% or higher to join the varsity team and qualify for an athletic scholarship.
- Active participation in your previous school team
Note that exceptional athletic performance and excellent academic records are major criteria to qualify for sports scholarships in Canada. It also contributes to the amount of scholarship that the student-athlete will receive.
Note that, applying for athletic scholarships does not limit you from applying for other scholarships whose criteria you may also meet. You may also qualify for entrance awards and bursaries if you meet their requirements.
Track and Field Scholarships in Canada
1. University of Victoria Athletic Scholarships
The University of Victoria is one of the colleges that provides various kinds of track and field scholarships in Canada. They include;
- Vikes Cross Country and Track Alumni Award
- Friends of Vikes Cross Country/Track Award
- Empresa Properties Vikes Cross Country and Track Award
- Brent Fougner Cross Country/Track Award
- Director’s Varsity Athletics Award
- Dairyland Vikes Athletic Award
And many more.
2. UAlberta – Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation International Student-Athlete Award
UAlberta is another school that awards track and field scholarships, but students need to be in the Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation. Also, applicants need to be Golden Bears and/or Pandas student-athlete(s) on Study Permit(s) with good academic records.
3. University of Calgary Award for International Student Athletes
UCalgary will award 3 outstanding student-athletes scholarships worth $10,000 each, regardless of the sports they specialize in, including Track and Field. The scholarships are awarded to undergraduate student-athletes in any field of study who are members of the Dinos athletic team and who have satisfied the English Language Proficiency requirement.
To be eligible, international students must have an admission average of at least 80%. Transfer students must have a minimum GPA of 2.00 or equivalent from another post-secondary institution.
4. Thompson Rivers University: International Athletic Scholarships
TRU is one of the colleges that awards different soccer, Basketball, Swimming, Volleyball, and T & F scholarships in Canada to students that compete in one of their Varsity Teams. For you to be considered you need to complete their WolfPack Recruitment Form where you’ll fill out a form to show your interest to join their athletic team.
Also, it’s important to give as much information as possible, including any links to video footage of your performance, so that the coach can see your ability.
5. Crandall University Athletic Scholarships & Awards
Crandall University is a Baptist Christian liberal arts university in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada. The school awards different Athletic Scholarships including for student-athletes involved in Track and Field sports.
These scholarships include;
- Alumni and Friends Athletic Scholarship: awarded to athletes who participate on an ACAA (or equivalent) university varsity team.
- Charger Athletics Excellence Scholarships: awarded to exceptional athletes who demonstrate significant academic accomplishments and commitment to the Christian faith.
- Colborne and Mitton Housing Athletic Awards
- Idris James Morris Athletic Scholarship
- International Player Excellence Awards
6. Douglas College Athletic Scholarship
Douglas College is known as the largest public degree-granting college institution in BC, Canada with nearly 25,000 students enrolled in varieties of academic disciplines. The school awards a maximum of 5 scholarships annually and each recipient will receive an amount of $7,000 for their tuition.
7. University of Manitoba Athletic Awards
This award easily fits into our list of track and field scholarships in Canada due to the amount awarded. The University of Manitoba awards more than $550,000 annually to new and continuing University of Manitoba students who qualify for membership on any recognized Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) university team.
Coaches will be responsible for awarding these scholarships and it ranges from $500 to full tuition. Besides other requirements, in most cases, students must register for and complete at least 60% of a full course load per term.
There might not be so many T & F scholarships in Canada but one of the things you should know is that most schools that provide this sports in Canada also award scholarships. So, you can ask about the financial support of the school you intend to enroll in and whether they provide scholarships for Track and Field sports.